CHURCH IN COMMUNITY
St George’s, Georgeham;
St Mary’s, Croyde;
St George’s House; Christian Surfers UK
St George’s is the Parish Church for the Benefice
of Georgeham, Croyde and surrounding villages.
Services are conducted according to “Common
Worship” and are informal, centring on joyful
worship and praise and the preaching of the
Scriptures. The Church sets out to offer a
welcoming environment where all can come
to know the love of God in their lives.
The normal pattern of worship is an
of the month. In some months this is
taken other than in the Church building
in our desire to reach out to the community. The second and third Sundays are given over to Morning Worship and the fourth Sunday is a service of Parish Communion. Where there is a fifth Sunday this is usually a joint service with the Baptist Church, alternating our use of each others building. Additionally a mid-
St Mary’s in Croyde, is a daughter Church providing a more traditional style of worship using the Book of Common Prayer. Morning Prayer is held on the first Sunday of the month and a service of Holy Communion on the second and third Sundays. No service is held on the fourth Sunday, enabling everyone to come together for the Parish Communion in St George’s.
During the week five or six house groups meet for fellowship, prayer and study. Much pastoral care and support is offered through these meetings. An open prayer meeting is held every Tuesday at 3 pm in St Mary’s Church for the special purpose of praying for growth,both in our personal lives and for those in the community who might be brought into a loving relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ.
St George’s Church, Georgeham
The earliest record is 1231, then 1261 as Ham St George. Thirteenth century remains include a knight effigy, font and crucifixion scene. The tower is fourteenth century as are a piscina and quatrefoil window. Most arches are fifteenth century. In 1762 radical Romanesque style changes were made. Major restorations in 1876 altered most windows, enlarged the vestry and installed a new font, pulpit and the current seating. The organ was installed in 1881. There is a fine peal of eight bells the oldest dated 1748. Services are held every Sunday morning and some evenings. Our church has strong links with St George’s House Christian outdoor centre, located in the adjacent former rectory, the village school and other local churches to maximise our mission for greater outreach into the community.
A full history of St George’s may be found at http://genuki.cs.ncl.ac.uk/DEV/Georgeham/GeorgehamChurch.html
St Mary Magdalene Church, Croyde
The church was opened on 22nd July 1874. It was intended as a “Mission Church” to assist those parishioners unable to travel comfortably to the parish church in Georgeham.
From the beginning it was designed as a multi-
In 2001 the pews were replaced with chairs, carpeting laid and other furniture renewed to enable the building to be used for additional purposes as well as regular Sunday services. It has housed summer exhibitions, courses, church retreats and parish meetings. A new bell was donated and hung in 2002.
St Mary’s prior to 2001
Revd. Mike Newbon